On Friday, March 11, 2016 we held our Annual membership Meeting. It was a rainy night and the meeting was lightly attended. If you missed it, here’s a summary of what was presented by our Board Chair, Susan Archibald.
Board of Directors
Currently the Board has nine members and two vacancies.
The Executive Director position is vacant.
Total assets as of 12/3015: $608,331.27
Other assets* $541495.15
*Property, building, equipment, furniture
- Ceramics Studio
- Gallery Exhibits: 5 to 6 shows a year, including a Youth Art Show.
- Adult Education: workshops, classes, ceramics, painting, life drawing
- Youth Education: Art After School and Summer Art Camps
- Ceram-A-Rama: a celebration of clay
- Muddy Mountain Music Festival
- Exhibit receptions 5 or 6 a year plus special sale days
Staff, i.e. Independent contractors
- Office manger 8 hours/week $27.50/hr
- Ceramic interns $100 month
- Teachers: range from $50/hr up
- Teaching assistances $16.25/hr
- Youth Art Director receives stipend of $200/month
- Ceramic Director receives stipend of $125/month
- Gallery artist docents around 30 a month
- Community Service volunteers 3 or 4 a year
- Other volunteers including the Board of Directors around 25
- Membership single $45/year family $65
- At last count we had 108 paid-up memberships
Finances, from 2015 Profit and Loss figures:
Income: $100,653.45 expenses: $102,740.07
Class income is 46% of our income and also our largest expense
Grants account for 7% of income
Gallery sales is about 17%
Membership and donations is around 15%
Exhibit fees, fundraising and special event is 7%
Santa Cruz Mountain Art Center 2015 Highlights and 2016 Wish List
Financial Highlights from 2015
Income increased by 1.4%
Expenses increased by 13.2 %
Membership income increase by 1.2%
Class income increased by 10.2%
Gallery sales increased by 33.5% exhibit fees were up 10%
Facilities increased 153.2%
Marketing increase 27%
Program Highlights from 2015
Our facility has been greatly improved by necessary repairs to the bathroom. Gallery heater had to be replaced and a new programmable thermostat was installed.
Ceramic studio time was organized with help of volunteers to 4 days a week. Improvements were made to the soda kiln.
Art After School Program increased to include Scotts Valley Middle School. Program was helped by a grant from the Community Foundation.
Events included a very successful Ceram-A-rama, with a movie staring Dan Hennig held at Park Hall. Muddy Mountain Music Festival also returned this year to raise funds for the Ceramics and Youth Education programs.
Wish List for 2016
Our current budget does not allow us to hire an Executive Director or to purchase many outside services. The Board will be taking up these issues at our Board Meeting. We would like to ask our members to consider giving volunteer time in the following areas:
- Information technology: help with our website and social media presence
- Office tasks: sending out renewal letters, working on email newsletters
- Curatorial: planning and hanging shows, researching and improving look of the gallery
- Finance/ Fundraising/ Office Committee: help with the Human Race from now until May 7. We want this to be a major fundraising campaign and can use all the help we can get.